Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Porch

I've avoided posting about this specific subject for a good while. Many reasons, some good, some not so good. I believe God gave me a vision which prompted me to share about this today.

I've worked at Shell Chemical for almost 10 years. I make my 10 year anniversary March 16, 2008. It's been a GREAT 10 years here. Shell is one of the best companies to work for in my industry. Shell Chemical Geismar is one of the best plants to work for on the river in this region. A great company with great comensation and benefits. But, for several years, I knew this is not where I'm meant to be. We knew a different season for us was approaching.

Brandi and I have been preparing for the time when I am supposed to resign from this job and pursuit full time ministry. God has opened alot of doors for us in many ways to help us along the way. I'm SO THANKFUL to Pastors Dino and DeLynn for creating an environment at Healing Place Church for Brandi and I to realize our calling and also to gave access to resources that has allowed us to make the transition from what I'm doing now to what I'm supposed to do. A big part of that has been Elevate, HPC's Internship program and bible college.

I was at work and the building where I work is elevated on a 2 foot high slab. There is a porch on each entrance. I was standing on one of the porches at the corner looking down at the ground surrounding the building. Now, even though God has opened all these doors and Brandi and I have prepared for this for the past 2 years or more and we've sought Godly wisdom from many men and women, I still have thoughts of "what if" or "is this right". But, not anymore. The porch is about 20 foot by 30 foot in area. It's elevated about 2 foot off the ground and I'm about to "step down".

I thought about how I'm not just stepping down from a position, but from compensation and benefits and job security. Then, I truly felt God saying to me, "This elevated porch is only about 600 square foot in area. You may be stepping down, but look at the area of the ground you are stepping down to." I looked down and the ground, of course, goes on as far as I can see in all directions. I can't begin to estimate the area that is there.

Yes, we're stepping down from a certain "elevated" income and a certain "elevated" lifestyle. But the area that is attached to that "elevated" income and "elevated" lifestyle is only 600 square feet. The area of the "lower" income and "lower" lifestyle is infinite!

Whatever God has called me to do, by obeying His leading, I will infinitely expand the ground that I have access to.

I hope by sharing this, I have encouraged some of you as I have been encouraged. April 1, 2008 Brandi and I are stepping down to expand the ground we will have access to. It's very humbling. I know the responsibility I carry by following His leading. But, EVERYWHERE He has led us up to now, He has also PROVIDED the way for us to accomplish our goals.

We have NO REASON to believe He will not do it again. We fully expect Him to do it again.

2 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger ncseaward said...

Gered,
Thank you for sharing that powerful vision. What a great example of walking in faith. Jada is adorable and congratulations on having some potty training sucess. Apparently, Isabel is on the very slow track toward potty training sucess. Good to see you bloggin again.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Dirk Cushenbery said...

Rock on my brother!! We are excited for you! We miss you all. Man I remember stepping down once out of that boat of yours! :) Love you both my friend! Dirk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home